The HMC Pastoral Leadership Qualification (PLQ) is a development programme for pastoral middle leaders in HMC member senior schools e.g. Heads of Year, Heads of Section, Heads of House (Boarding and Day), Heads of Pupil Support teams etc. The PLQ is designed and delivered in partnership with the UCL/Institute of Education (IOE).
Whilst aspiring pastoral leaders may also take part, the training sessions and portfolio activities are primarily intended for those already in post, and HMCPD’s ‘Preparing to be a Pastoral Leader’ is likely to provide more appropriate content. Experienced colleagues who are beginning to consider deputy head positions may possibly find HMCPD’s ‘Preparing for Senior Leadership’ course of greater relevance.
Please view the PLQ briefing document for more information about the programme, and how it is planned to run in 2021-22.
Three Level 1 clusters will run in the 2021-22 academic year:
- 2 clusters will follow the “original” PLQ model with 2 face-to-face training days (autumn term and spring term)
- 1 cluster will follow the “blended” model piloted in 2021, with a single face-to-face training day in the autumn term covering the first 2 modules, and spring term online sessions delivering the content relating to modules 3 & 4
Two Level 2 clusters will run in the 2021-22 academic year, both of which will follow the “blended” model, with online sessions in the autumn term covering modules 5 & 6, and a single face-to-face training day for modules 7 & 8 in the spring term.
Participant fees are dependent on programme model and association membership. Please view the PLQ briefing document for more information.
Links to book online:
- L1 Southern Cluster (1) – 07/10/21 & 26/01/22 (locations & venues tbc, but potentially Oxford for Day 1 & London-Oxford for Day 2)
- L1 Southern Cluster (2) – 11/11/21 & 20/01/22 (locations & venues tbc, but potentially Basingstoke for Day 1 & London-Reading for Day 2)
- L1 Midlands Blended Cluster – 18/11/21 (venue location TBC – potentially Warwickshire), & online sessions in Spring term
- L2 Southern Blended Cluster: online sessions in Autumn term, and face-to-face training day 03/02/22 (potentially Oxford TBC)
- L2 Midlands Blended Cluster: online sessions in Autumn term, and face-to-face training day 10/02/22 (venue location TBC – potentially Warwickshire)
Where locations and venues are TBC
We are currently working to confirm arrangements with specific venues, but in the meantime:
- Midlands events are likely to be in the region of Warwickshire-Nottingham, and may require access by road rather than rail
- Southern events are likely to be in the triangle of Oxford, Basingstoke and London, although we will be avoiding central London for these events in the Autumn term. Venues may require access by road rather than rail
Information for mentors
Information for mentors is available at www.hmcpd.org.uk/plq-mentors